Water Cooler Cleaning Tips
Water coolers provide a great source of clean, pure drinking water which is essential to a healthy life. Periodic cleaning of the water cooler in a home or office is necessary to ensure the health and safety of all who use the cooler.
- Clean the water cooler at each bottle change, or every six weeks.
- Prepare a disinfecting solution by adding one tablespoon of household bleach to a gallon of water.
- Make sure the water cooler is unplugged from the electrical outlet.
- Remove the empty bottle from the dispenser.
- Always wear disposable gloves and safety goggles when using bleach.
- Use a sponge to scrub the interior surface of the water cooler reservoir with the bleach solution and let stand for at least two minutes, but no more than five minutes.
- Drain the bleach solution through the faucet into a bucket or other receptacle.
- Rinse the reservoir four times with clean tap or bottled water.
- Remove the drip tray and wash in bleach solution or mild detergent. Rinse thoroughly.
- Wash hands or use gloves before handling a fresh bottle of water.